Some Barelwīs writing online are making the ridiculous accusation that it is Deobandī belief that Allāh can create another god like Himself but will not do so! In other words, they claim that according to Deobandī belief, creating another god is included within divine power (qudrah)!
Like all of the Ahl al-Sunnah, Deobandīs believe the essence (dhāt) of Allāh Himself and His eternal ṣifāt (characteristics) are outside the divine power (qudrah).
This is articulated very clearly by Mawlānā Ashraf ‘Alī Thānawī, whose being representative of the Deobandī school is beyond question:
“The essence and characteristics of Allāh, the Absolutely Powerful (Qādir Muṭlaq), are themselves outside the Divine Power. Otherwise, it would necessitate believing that He is able to bring into existence His own likeness, which is absurd.” (Imdād al-Fatāwā, Maktabah Dārul ‘Ulūm Karāchī, 6:76)
A Deobandī speaker, who has not studied the traditional madrasa syllabus, made a blunder in this respect and said otherwise. In typical Barelwī fashion, this mistake is then treated as being representative of Deobandī belief!
Mawlānā Maḥmūd al-Ḥasan Deobandī explains in Juhd al-Muqill why such actions – that entail absurdities or entail changes to Allāh’s essence or eternal attributes – are outside of divine power, while something like punishing an obedient slave or issuing a false statement are not from the same category; actions of the latter kind are included within divine power, but their occurrence is impossible.
When Barelwīs make ridiculous allegations like the above, it should be remembered that so-called Deobandī errors in ‘aqīdah (like those alleged in Ḥusām al-Ḥaramayn) invariably turn out to be distortions and fabrications by Barelwīs.
On the other hand, Barelwī ‘Ulamā’ (including Aḥmad Riḍā Khān himself) have made explicit errors in ‘aqīdah, such as:
- The blasphemous belief that the Prophet (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam) is not a human being but a light that merely came in human form
- The misguided belief that the Prophet (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam) has full control over every single thing in creation
- The blasphemous belief that the Prophet (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam) is not unlettered (ummī) but is able to read and write
- The blasphemous belief that the Prophet (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam) was given knowledge of the precise timing of the final hour
- The blasphemous belief that the Prophet (ṣallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam) knows (and sees/hears) literally every single thing within creation, with no exception
This is apart from the lies, distortions, fabrications and manipulations that Barelwīs are guilty of, and which have been exposed on this website time and again.